Before we get to the list of courses for housewives, I’d like to give a gentle reminder to all the housewives out there!
As a housewife, you are already working!
That’s right, remember that! You have to acknowledge this before anyone else. You might not be paid. But, that shouldn’t stop you from accepting the fact that running a household isn’t easy. It really does require hard work.
You are already a manager taking care of all your family’s needs. You manage your house, ensure everything is kept clean, serve your family with their favourite food, take care of all their needs, and fulfil it.
This is a huge thing!
Running a household successfully isn’t easy. But you are doing it, right?
Similarly, if you are ready to put in the effort, you might rock this new career as well.
After all, the feeling of paying your own bills is definitely surreal. Isn’t it?
If you’re a housewife who aspires to gain financial freedom, remember, that you shouldn’t stop trying.
Why Should You Learn New Skills?
Let’s face it. The world is changing rapidly. With automation slowly taking over mundane jobs in the market, a lot of working professionals are pushed to a state where they feel the need to update themselves with relevant skills. That’s why it’s important to learn skills that are currently employable.
Recruiters are no longer hesitant to hire fresh talent. In fact, many recruiters are actually turning to upskilling platforms to hire talents.
There are so many online and offline courses one can enrol in.
We have come up with a comprehensive list of more than 30 courses for housewives. This list will mainly focus on professional career courses suitable for remote working as most housewives prefer that.
Make sure you read till the end as we also share a list of companies that help women restart their careers.
List of vocational courses for housewives:
1. Freelancing Courses
There are so many freelancing opportunities out there. A Freelancer is usually self-employed and has the flexibility to work on various projects at a given time.
To start working as a freelancer, you could get trained in any relevant skill, and offer your services to clients who require them.
For instance, if you learn design skills, you could start your freelancing career in web designing. There are so many start-ups looking forward to hiring freelancers. Many freelancing platforms like Upwork, Fiverr, and Guru have gained huge popularity over the last few years.
You could start with simple services such as content writing, or provide more advanced services like Data Analysis, Data Visualization, and Business Analytics. You get to choose your services. Choose something that you’re talented in. The internet is filled with courses about freelancing and making money online. Make sure you pick the right one.
- Earn Online Course (Henry Harvin Education),
- Freelancer Course by Seth Godin (Udemy), and
- How to Freelance on Fiverr by Matt Brighton (Skillshare).
The next 11 courses listed are skill-based freelancing courses for housewives.
2. Content Writing Courses
With the number of internet users increasing every passing day, businesses are coming up with more strategies to make a mark online. Most businesses rely on content marketing as it increases organic search traffic, helps a business increase its brand awareness, and provides better conversion rates. If you’re able to write content that attracts and nurtures your followers, then you are in for a treat!
There are a ton of Content Writing courses available online. You can choose anyone that suits your requirement. But, be sure to choose a content writing course that provides mentorship from experienced writers. Content writing courses are more suitable for housewives because as a content writer, you would have the flexibility to work whenever you want.
- Content Writing Course (Henry Harvin Education), and
- Post Graduate Program in Content Writing (Henry Harvin Education).
3. Graphic Designing Courses
Graphic designers are responsible for communicating ideas and information via visual concepts. They put their creativity to good use and provide services that help clients design their posters, banners, brochures, flyers, invitations, greeting cards, book covers, menu cards, logos, graphic blog images, packaging logos, etc.
There are many Graphic designing courses available online. These courses help students learn designing from scratch. If you have a tight budget, go for short-term online courses that cover all the key concepts.
- Graphic Design Specialization by CALARTS (Coursera), and
- Graphic Design Masterclass by Lindsay Marsh (Udemy).
4. Web Designing Courses
While a graphic designer focuses on the artistic aspect of producing a design, a web designer works closely with other web developers and is mainly responsible for the usability and visual appearance of a website.
It is easy to learn a skill from any of the online training programs, but to make a career out of it is a tad bit harder. There is strong competition for these roles, so making yourself stand out is necessary. You need to consistently learn, and practice a lot.
- Web Design: Wireframes to Prototypes by California Institute of the Arts (Coursera), and
- Web Design for Beginners by Brad Schiff (Udemy).
5. Web Development Courses
Web developers perform a variety of tasks such as designing a website layout, developing home pages, and putting together all the modules of the website. To sum all things up, web developers make sure they provide a user-friendly interface to the website users.
As a web developer, you will have the flexibility to choose your own work mode. There are a lot of professionals who earn a full-time income freelancing as web developers. You can either work as a part-time web developer or as a full-time web developer.
This career option will be super helpful for women who are trying to restart their careers as web developers. If you’re a person who already has experience in Web Development, it might be a lot easier for you to restart your career.
- Programming for Non-Programmers Course (Henry Harvin Education), and
- SQL Developer Course (Henry Harvin Education).
6. Video Editing Courses
A video editor is responsible for the editing, and arrangement of video shots. Video editors are usually closely associated with directors, and heavily focus on work that involves rearranging scenes in a motion video.
There are many short-term and long-term online courses that teach video editing. Enrol in a course that takes you from the basics, and covers all the key concepts.
- Fundamentals of Digital Image and Video Processing by Northwestern University (Coursera), and
- Video Editing – Adobe Premiere Pro Jorde Vandeput (Skillshare).
7. Digital Marketing Courses
Roughly translated as “Online Marketing”, Digital Marketing is a form of marketing that involves promoting a business in various web search engines, and social media handles such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Linked In, etc.
With internet users on the rise, businesses definitely wouldn’t want to miss out on this wonderful marketing opportunity. Since there are so many digital marketing courses available online, it’s super important to choose the right course with a curriculum that’s relevant and updated to current trends.
- Digital Marketing Course (Henry Harvin Education), and
- Post Graduate Program in Digital Marketing (Henry Harvin Education).
8. Instructional Design Courses
An instructional designer is a person who is responsible for developing course curriculums, training materials, student guides, and teaching manuals mostly for schools, universities, colleges, and EdTech companies.
Instructional designing courses help an individual gain a basic understanding of the history, evolution, principles, and characteristics of instructional design. These courses usually help in designing and developing e-learning materials, guides, presentations, etc.
- Instructional Design Certification Course (Henry Harvin Education),
- Instructional Design Essentials: Models of ID by Joe Pulichino (LinkedIn Learning),
- Instructional Design Course by Mahatma Gandhi University (SWAYAM).
9.Virtual Assistance Courses
A Virtual Assistant is someone who provides virtual assistance to clients remotely. This is, again, one of the easiest courses for housewives. It also gives you the flexibility to work whenever you want.
There are different types of virtual assistants. They usually differ by the kind of work they do.
For instance, a virtual assistant who takes care of a client’s blog will be a Blog Virtual Assistant. The most profitable niches are,
- Administrative Virtual Assistant,
- Virtual Digital Marketing Assistant,
- Graphic Designing Virtual Assistant,
- Customer Care Virtual Assistant,
- Travel Virtual Assistant, and
- Book Keeping Virtual Assistant.
- Work From Home as a Virtual Assistant tutored by Tina Marie Hilton (Udemy),
- $10k VA Course tutored by Kayla Sloan, and
- 90 Day VA Course tutored by Esther Inman.
10. Editing/ Proofreading Courses
The internet wouldn’t survive without blogs, right? And blogs wouldn’t survive without written content!
Isn’t this good news for content writers?
Wait, it’s not just good news for content writers. It’s good news for editors and proofreaders as well. They also get to benefit from this. There are plenty of editing and proofreading jobs available online.
An editing course is also one of the easiest courses for housewives out there. Pursuing a career in editing/proofreading is far easier than other courses mentioned in this list.
- The Complete Proffreading Course: Editing & Proofreading by TJ Walker & Alex Zimmy (Udemy), and
- Writing Editing Masterclass by Sivakumar Kannan (Skillshare).
11. Foreign Language Courses
Learning a foreign language will always prove to be beneficial. Mastering a Foreign Language helps you increase your chances of being hired. A lot of companies who hire candidates in sectors such as tourism management, transportation, sales, retail, banking, education, administration, and marketing prefer multilingual candidates over monolingual candidates.
You can also provide content writing, translation, dubbing, proofreading, and editing services in these foreign languages.
According to a survey conducted by job search engine Adzuna, Chinese stood as the highest paying foreign language followed by French, Spanish and, German.
- French Language Course (Henry Harvin Education),
- Spanish Language Course (Henry Harvin Education), and
- Certificate Course in Mandarin (InChinCloser).
12. Voice-Over Courses
Dubbing for various forms of video content in films, TV shows, web series, YouTube videos, cartoons, etc is a fairly comfortable way of making money. You could choose to provide voice-overs in English or any other regional language of your choice.
If you’re aspiring to be a successful voice-over artist, you should be able to get your diction right, adapt different rhythms of speech, and be able to provide varying voice modulations.
- Voice-Over Masterclass by Donald Fittsgill Jr (Skillshare), and
- Voice-Over Training by Peter Baker and Voice-Over Masterclass (Udemy).
The next 7 courses listed are professional courses for housewives and might require some level of technical experience or practical knowledge in the said niche.
13. HR Payroll Courses
Payroll officers calculate employees’ compensations, revise internal payroll databases, and monitor whether payments made are timely. In the long run, HR payroll officers make sure whether an organization runs an accurate payroll system. If you are good with numbers and statistics, you would be a good fit for this career option.
- HR Payroll Specialist Course (Henry Harvin Education),
- Certified Payroll Professional Course (KPMG),
- Indian Payroll and Compliances Training (IPTM).
14. Market Research Analyst Courses
Market Research and analysis help an organization analyze prospective customers, and study their behaviour. They also study market conditions, decide what products should be sold, what price they should be sold at, and analyze competitors’ activities.
Market Research Analyst courses train students to draft a research plan, launch surveys, analyze data, and deliver insights based on their research.
- Marketing Analytics with Lean Six Sigma Belt Course (Henry Harvin Education),
- Marketing Analytics with R Course (Henry Harvin Education),
- Market Research specialization from University of California (Coursera),
15. Advanced Excel Courses
Microsoft Excel was initially built to help professionals compile their financial data, yearly debit sheets, and yearly credit. However, over time, the significance of the software has changed rapidly.
Now, it would be impossible for professionals like Financial Analysts, Business Analysts, Administrative Assistants, Sales Managers, Accountants, Auditors, Statisticians, and Data Analysts to survive without Excel skills.
A lot of freelancing sites like Freelancer, Upwork, and Craigslist offer ‘remote Excel jobs’. These job descriptions specify that they are in the need of Excel specialists who could perform metadata analysis, provide internet research, and create spreadsheet-based reports.
Basic to advanced Microsoft Excel skills are often considered highly valuable for a wide range of industries.
So, adding a Professional Advanced Excel Course Certification to your resume will definitely be an added advantage.
- Advanced Excel Course (Henry Harvin Education),
- Excel Skills for Business: Macquarie University (Coursera), and
- Beginner to Pro in Excel: Financial Modeling and Valuation (Udemy).
16. GST Practitioner Courses
The government of India implemented the Goods and Services Tax in July 2017. This single tax reform eliminated 17 indirect taxes such as VAT, Service Tax, Sales Tax, Excise Duty, etc. After the tax reform, the demand for skilled GST practitioners in the country increased rapidly.
A GST practitioner helps businesses and corporations with GST up-gradation, assessments, advance ruling, and reconciliation.
Women who already have experience in finance, commerce, accounting, and taxation can benefit from taking a GST practitioner course.
- GST Practitioner Certification Course (Henry Harvin),
- Post Graduate Program in GST (Henry Harvin),
- GST Practitioner Certification Course by ISEL Global (Shine Learning).
17. Business Development Courses
Let’s admit it. Running a business is definitely not easy. There is so much that needs to be taken care of. A business owner has tons of responsibilities as he/she analyzes the market, plans the launch strategy, manages the inventory, decides the promotional activities, and many more.
If you’ve had thoughts about starting a business, but brushed the idea away fearing the responsibilities that come with it, fear not! There are so many business management/development courses available online. These courses will take you through all the necessary steps, and help you run a business confidently.
- Essentials of Entrepreneurship: David Standen, (University of California – Coursera),
- Mini-MBA Course (Henry Harvin Education).
(TEFL) or Teach English as a Foreign Language courses qualify a person to teach English in countries where English isn’t the first language. If you’ve always wanted to settle abroad, this course would be a perfect fit for you.
But, if you have a family to look after, and cannot relocate, you needn’t worry as a TEFL certification course will help you become a tutor in local schools too.
While choosing a TEFL course, make sure you choose an accredited certification course.
- TEFL/TESOL Online Certification Course (Henry Harvin Education), and
- Online TEFL Certification Course (International TEFL Academy).
19. Coaching/Tutoring Courses
It’s always good to share what you know with others.
It could be anything! Anything you find valuable enough to teach beginners.
- For instance, if you are knowledgeable in finance, you could become a finance coach.
- If you’re a great cook who has years of cooking experience, you can provide cooking classes to beginners who struggle with cooking.
- If you know how to run a business successfully, you could provide business consulting/coaching.
You just need to monetize your skills and experience in the right way.
Now that you’ve understood you’ve got a skill you can monetize, the next step is to learn how to provide consulting services effectively. Nowadays, consultants offer their services online as well. But, it might be overwhelming to understand all the necessary steps to create and market your consulting business.
Investing in a consulting/coaching course that takes you through all the fundamentals would save a lot of your time.
Here, a recommendation wouldn’t help as you should be able to choose a coach that is specific to your niche.
The next list of 13 courses for housewives are courses that require some level of interest, and ownership.
20. Photography Courses
Photographers could also make money online as there are a lot of freelancing opportunities available. They usually work for magazines, newspapers, publishing houses, event management organizations, and NGOs.
A good photographer should have a deep understanding of the camera’s functions, camera’s exposure, and be able to master lighting techniques. Taking a professional photography course will help you discover your unique style, and help etch your individual mark in the world of photography.
- Photography Masterclass by Phil Ebener, William Carnahan, Sam Shimizu Jones, and Video school (Udemy), and
- Fundamentals of DSLR Photography by Photo Essentials & Justin Bridges (Skillshare).
21. Creative Writing Courses
Creative Writing improves self-expression. Most writers express themselves through writing. It’s definitely one of the most satisfying artistic processes, and if given the opportunity to make a living out of it, many writers would happily accept it.
All forms of poetry, dramas, plays, TV scripts, film scripts, songs, fiction novels, short stories, memoirs, personal essays, creative blogs, and vlogs need creative writers.
If you are a person whose creative juices flow effortlessly, then consider yourself lucky. This is one of the most satisfying careers in the world, and if you’re able to monetize this properly, you’ve struck gold!
But, before starting out as a creative writer, it’s important to be trained properly. Getting trained by experts might help you avoid mistakes that most beginners make in their journey.
- Creative Writing Course (Henry Harvin Education),
- Creative Writing Specialization by Weslyn University (Coursera), and
- Creative Arts, Design and Writing by Deakin University.
22. Acting Courses
If you’ve always been the kind of person who actively participated in dramatics in your school days, then you could consider turning that acting passion of yours into a professional career!
With the number of OTT platforms on the rise, the entertainment industry is only expected to grow in the coming years. This further increases the need for quality content. Hence, the opportunities for actors, screenwriters, directors, editors, and dubbing artists are also expected to multiply.
But, if you’re too shy to do full-fledged films or TV shows, you can try doing theatre.
- Directing the Actor, a directing and acting course by Nina Focused and Randal Kleiser (Udemy),
- Manoj Bajpayee’s Acting course (Unlu).
- Acting diploma programs from the Indian Academy of Dramatic Arts.
23. Yoga Courses
In 1893, Swami Vivekananda addressed a crowd in Chicago about the significance of yoga in life. The speech acted as a starting point in familiarizing yoga globally.
Now, it’s undoubtedly a billion-dollar industry. Yoga isn’t just a form of exercise. It’s a way of disciplining your mind, body, and soul by bringing a level of harmony between the three. More and more people are actively practicing yoga as it helps them improve their spiritual, physical and, mental health. That’s why making a career in this niche makes total sense.
After taking a yoga course, one can work in any of the following places,
- Health clubs,
- Yoga/Pilates studios,
- Gyms, and
- Special care-taking centers.
- Certification in Yoga and Naturopathy (Andiappan Yoga Education and Research Trust),
- Diploma in Yoga and Naturopathy (Andiappan Yoga Education and Research Trust), and
- International Yoga Teacher Training (Bodhi Yoga Academy).
24. Dietician/ Nutritionist Courses
Nowadays, people are becoming more and more conscious of the way they eat.
They are no longer frivolous with their lifestyle choices. Since the pandemic, people understand the importance of choosing healthy lifestyle habits. That’s why this is one of the hot career courses for housewives.
A full-fledged dietician course will help you get a clear understanding of various food intolerances and popular diet patterns. After getting trained, you can provide customized diet solutions to people in need of them.
- Diet and Nutrition Diploma (Coursegate),
- Accredited Professional Nutritional Diploma Course by Karen E Wells (Udemy).
25. Interior Designing Courses
An interior designer has the power to transform a dull residence into a vibrant, and lively residence. A good-looking house positively influences our mind and helps de-stress ourselves. That’s why the visual aesthetic of a house, restaurant, or office is very important.
Interior designing courses help students analyze different design elements, and help them create visually pleasing aesthetics.
- LEED Accredited Professional Interior Design & Construction by Hans Hans Weekes (Udemy), and
- The complete Sketchup & Vray Course for Interior Design by Manish Paul Simon and Sketchup Guru (Udemy).
26. Fashion Designing Courses
The Fashion Industry is one of the fastest-growing industries. So, if you’ve always been someone whom your friends and family looked up to for fashion advice, you might as well consider turning that talent of yours’ into a full-time profession.
A typical fashion designing course will include designing lessons like clothing construction methodologies, illustration, pattern making, surface ornamentation, and textile science.
- Fashion Design: introduction to Hand-drawn Technical Flats by Robert Geller (Skillshare), and
- Learn to Draw Fashion with Adobe Illustrator CC by Jo Hughes (Udemy).
27. Event Management Courses
Another hot niche that never hits a downfall!
Social and corporate events aren’t seasonal. So, hunting clients as an event manager wouldn’t be a tough task. Whether it’s a social event like a wedding or a corporate event like a business meet-up, the role of an event manager/planner is crucial. Planning an event isn’t easy. It is very stressful. That’s why, nowadays, people let professional event managers take over!
- Successful Events: Events Planning, Marketing, and Management by Alex Genadinink (Udemy), and
- Launch your Career in Events Management by Hanna Ashcraft (Skillshare).
28. Beautician Courses
Beauticians are professionals who provide skincare, haircare, and therapeutic services. They work towards enhancing their clients’ overall appearance. As a beautician, you can either start your own beauty salon or provide your services to a nearby salon.
Nowadays, many make-up and hairstyle artists upload content on various social media platforms such as YouTube, and Instagram to convert followers into customers. You can try different strategies and stick to something that works out for you.
- Lakme Academy’s Beauty, Hair and Make-up Courses, and
- Professional Diploma in Beauty Therapy (Shaw Academy).
29. Tailoring Courses
Whether it’s an alteration for our ready-made outfits or a customized stitch for our blouses, a local tailor becomes a savior for many of our quick fixes.
Even with the revolution of fast fashion, and ready-made clothing, a few sections of society still prefer to stitch customized clothing.
So, learning how to sew will definitely be a valuable skill.
- Diploma in Dress Designing & Tailoring (Mridula’s SE&FD), and
- Certificate in Dress Designing & Tailoring (DEI-DEP).
30. E-Commerce Courses
There are so many products you can sell online. It could be toys, home decor, jewelry, pottery, skincare products, hair care products, natural beauty products, puja items, dolls, paper bags, jute bags, etc.
It could be anything you can make and sell. And, the process is simple. You make it, package it, register your business, and sell it online.
- Earn Money Online Certification Course (Henry Harvin Education),
- E-Commerce Marketing Course (Hubspot),
- How to Get a Business Online (Google),
31. Offline/ Online Post Graduation Programs from Colleges
If you can spare a few hours every week to learn new programs, you can benefit from an online Post-Graduate Program in a field of your choice. Most of these programs will be very detailed and help you gain a thorough understanding of your niche.
If you’re a housewife looking forward to restarting your career, consider taking one of these diploma courses. It could help you stand out from other candidates in a job interview! But make sure you choose accredited courses from reputed colleges.
There are many institutes providing executive diplomas and post-graduation diploma courses online. In fact, Henry Harvin Education itself provides a whole array of Diploma, Post-Graduation, and certification courses for housewives in a variety of subjects. Feel free to check them out.
And, here is an additional list of career restarting courses for housewives.
- Eaton Relaunch
- Thought Works
- Capgemini Relaunch
- Vmware Tara
- Amazon Rekindle
- Accenture Career Reboot
- Jobs For Her
- Target Bounce Back Intern
- Google Career
- GE India Restart
- Axis Bank
- Hindustan Unilever – Career By Choice
- Dell’s Career Restart
- Restart with Infosys.
Since a large number of companies are comfortable with remote work after the pandemic, it could be easier for women to get work-from-home jobs. Getting a work-from-home job will help maintain your work-life balance effectively. But, be careful in your choice, and make sure you select companies that respect their employees’ personal time!
What more are you waiting for?
We made sure we listed the most relevant career courses for housewives.
Upskill yourself and start working!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Learning essential skills helps individuals safeguard their future. It builds confidence and helps them gain financial independence. Scroll up and check out the comprehensive list of courses for housewives to get a fair idea of the various career options out there.
Yes. You can make a full-time career as a housewife. You just need to find a profitable career niche and start working towards fulfilling your dream.
The government has implemented various schemes in order to uplift and empower women. A few of those are,
· Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY),
· Skills Acquisition and Knowledge Awareness for Livelihood Promotion,
· Employability Enhancement Training Program (EETP), and
· National Employability Enhancement Mission (NEEM).