“What is Agile Project Management”?
Before getting directly into Agile Project Manager Interview Question and Answer, Let us understand first, “what is Agile Project Management”?
Agile project management is a repetitious approach for managing software development projects that emphasizes continuous releases and combining customer feedback with every repetition.
Role/Duties of Agile Project Manager
The role of Agile Project Manager (APM) is for planning, leading, organizing, and motivating Agile project teams.
The aim of the Agile Project Manager is as follows:-
- Achieve a top level of performance and quality, and
- Deliver agile projects that provide extraordinary business value to users
- The Agile Project Manager may be responsible for managing and handling various concurrent high visibility projects, using agile methods in a fast-paced environment that may cross multiple business divisions.
So, we have listed the Top 30 Agile Project Manager Interview Questions and Answers which is most commonly asked in Agile Project Manager interview questions to join the agile team of a reputed company.
Top Agile Project Manager Interview Questions & Answers
Q.1 How do you handle a Project?
Ans. In Agile Project Manager Interview, with this question, an interviewer wants to understand whether you are a right candidate for the company and what your Project Management was like in the previous organization. Here, you also have to disclose your project management approach using Agile and leadership skills.
Firstly you should talk about the project you have worked on last time, how it worked, what system you have used, and about your team members.
Secondly, you should present yourself as a team player as most companies are looking for an inspiring, interactive Project Manager rather than a one-man army.
Finally; tell them two projects can not be the same. So, you apply different strategies as per the project demand
Q.2 How do you think the Project Manager Can Be Proactive?
Ans. In Agile Project Manager Interview for this question you should simply say, Proactive Manager are more liable to forecast the risks and implement solutions to reduce the risks.
Proactive Manager can have more supervision, control, and management over the project resources and tasks.
Proactive Manager keep record of all issues and tasks related to small improvements and changes for greater performance and productivity.
Proactive Manager also organizes meetings for developers frequently to discuss their problems, share best practices and brainstorm solutions.
Q.3 What Are The Best Agile Metrics?
Ans. Some of the common Agile metrics which an interviewer in Agile Project Manager Interview may ask are:-
- Velocity– Velocity means average points one can achieve from the last 3 to 4 sprints. Velocity is measured by putting concisely all the estimates accepted for the stories. It explains the progress, capacity, etc.
- Work Category Allocation– It is a vital factor that gives speedy details about investing time. It instructs which task should be selected and where time is getting invested as a time factor.
- Cumulative Flow Graph – This way, an investigation is executed on the specific workflow. The x-axis explains time and the y-axis shows a number of attempts.
- Delivering Business Value– It explains the effectiveness of a team. The numerical values are designated with business objectives according to the level of complicacy, priority, and ROI.
- Defect Removal Awareness – This factor has come in handy for the team to deliver the best product. It is very important to find out active defects, be aware and remove them. It is very crucial to deliver a top-quality product.
- Time Coverage – At the time of the testing process, time is given to the code. It is studied in the form of percentage as a factor of various codes called by the total relative codes and the test suite.
- Defect Resolution Time – In this process, team members find out the bugs or defects and set a time to resolve defects. The process of bug fixes or defect resolution includes various processes like scheduling to fix defects, clearing the defect, generation, finalizing to fix defects, and handling reports of resolution.
- Sprint Burn Down – It is a graph that represents various implemented or non-implemented sprints on the Scrum cycle.
Q.4 How Would You Rate Your Last Project?
Ans. Previous work history is always discussed in an Agile Project Manager Interview and provides the employer to evaluate a few things from your response.
Employers often use this question as a way to see if you can associate with and lead a team, therefore you must include a few elements in your response.
Firstly, you should choose the right example. Make sure that you select a recent project that you are confident in going into detail about also remember that they aren’t just interested in you running the project but how you ran it.
Explain your processes, meeting schedules, and any tools that you used to stay organized. The interviewer is more interested in your approach than if the project was a success so make sure to be completely
Honesty is key, well it’s a bonus if your last project ends successfully, on the other hand, it is also ok to share if your last project wasn’t successful.
Instead of just sharing with them that it didn’t match up with the plan, you should also share about what you have learned from that experience and what you have changed in your approach to making sure that the problems you faced don’t come up again.
Q.5 Have You handled Any Challenging Projects and How Did You Manage It?
Ans. During Agile Project Manager Interview, having proof of a successful project does make you look more suitable to an employer, it is however not something that is necessary to have a successful interview.
Truth and Honesty in your response are necessary as they are evaluating your approach and character, more than your track record.
Working with a positive attitude towards the situation, and tell the employer what you did once, challenges that appeared in the project, how you have learned from the mistakes that were made in the project, and what you’re going to do in your future approach to make sure that the same issues are not repeated.
Q.6 Do You recognize something concerning Kanban?
Ans. This is one in all the Agile Project Manager Interview queries for an Agile Project Manager that may be asked.
Kanban may be a tool to stay track of the progress and work for the team. at the side of the standing of existing development strategy, progress is well outlined with Kanban and it’s done accurately by victimization Kanban board.
With the assistance of the Kanban board, you’ll write the total situation promptly thus you’ll get the larger image, work flow progress, the task is finished, or the general standing of a project.
Q.7 What Is The length of a scrummage Cycle?
Ans. The Scrum cycle depends on the scale of the team and the overall project. A team could have three to nine members. it always takes three to four weeks to end the sprint of the scrummage cycle. It takes around four weeks on average.
Q.8 How does one give status Updates?
Ans. During Agile Project Manager Interview by asking this question, the querier determines whether or not you may be responsible or not.
If you give status updates frequently, it means that you may be held absolutely accountable for the timeline that has been set before beginning the project. If you don’t give a convincing response, you’ll not be able to impress your leader.
First of all, make a case for how oftentimes you give updates. Also, make a case for whether or not you give updates once asked or on your own.
Sample Answer – Submitting status reports frequently will be terribly difficult for tons of project managers. Even i do know some project managers in person who contemplate causing reports associate spare distraction. In my case, I don’t have any downside with causing status updates to my clients.
In this method, I even have a novel approach. I add all the knowledge associated with the project on an internet dashboard. It consists of assorted stages that are lessened during a project.
Another methodology i favor to use once providing a standing update may be a daily stand up meeting, conjointly referred to as a ‘daily scrum’ that I generally hold within the morning with all of the team to line the context for the day’s work and let folks recognize of any changes.
Kanban board is another useful gizmo that I use to keep a track of things because it will visually show the work completed at varying stages of the project and helps to simply assign completely different members smaller projects.
Burndown charts also are a good tool that I even have used at the tip of every sprint, because the scrummage Master I even have expertise in changing and issuing a burndown chart for the rest of the team.
Q.9 What are The Risks you may Face when Managing a Project?
Ans. Sample Answer – during a project, here are a number of the common risks –
- Market Risk
- Strategic Risk
- Legal Risk
- Operational Risk
- External Risk
Q.10 Which Medium Of Communication You Use in A Project?
Ans. Sample answer – I use the communication medium as per the team we are working with, and the kind of project we are going to start work on. I, as a Project Manager, will prefer personal interaction, electronic, responsive, and written mediums.
Q.11 How are you able to Handle a Team Member who isn’t operating Well On a Project?
Ans. Sample Answer – I do the subsequent things to get the simplest of my team members –
• Motivate them to act and imagine in their personal ways
• Try and avoid any emotional outburst with the stakeholders and team
• Helping team members to develop their talents in higher cognitive process
• Develop their threshold in performance tolerance
• Surrounding the weak staff with stronger ones to enhance their potential
• Arrange correct follow-up
• Showing wherever they slot in the vision and mission of the corporate
• Encouraging them by profitable and appreciating for improvement
• Allowing them to depart if there’s no area for improvement
Q 12 When a Project Goes Off-track in line with You? How can You Manage that?
Ans. Sample Answer – I contemplate the subsequent tips to establish whether or not the project goes well or running out of timeline –
• Budget isn’t below the management
• Project is taking an excessive amount of time
• There are not any original goals outlined
• Project scope is dynamic perpetually
If we relate to one of those eventualities, the project is definitely going off the track. during this manner, I take fast action to heal. Here ar many of the steps I take –
• Figure out the foundation cause
• Take additional efforts and time to hide up the timeline
• Follow the first vision or goal
• Adjust the management of finance, resources, and personnel
• Having face-to-face discussions with stakeholders and clients
Q.13 How would you contend with a stakeholder who isn’t simple To Handle?
Ans. Sample Answer – Stakeholders are necessary for the project as they have big authority and their consent plays an important role. Sometimes, they’re rough to handle. In those cases, here’s what I do –
• Know their issue
• Accept authority while not disceptation
• Avoid all negative emotions
• Be honest and tactful to the selections
• Ask for suggestions and attend them
• Improve communication
• Praise them and build the association
Q.14 When does one recognize that the Project is off-track?
Ans. As a project manager, it’s essential that you just are an organized individual with multiple strategies in place throughout the project in order that your able to check if the project is off-track. several project managers perpetually check the project through project schedules and keep a track of objectives and milestones that ar set to specific dates.
Using following apps like Kaban Board may be helpful to envision if the project is running smoothly as it’s live update system and code for individual team members permits you to visualize how everybody is progressing with their work and if there are any risks that it might go off track.
By having multiple ways to trace the project and therefore the individual elements inside it then you’re doubtless to grasp regarding the project being off-track instantaneously. this offers you a plus as you’ll be able to begin to place things into place as presently as potential to get the project back heading in the right direction.
You’ll be able to mention any projects that went off target to the employer alongside what you probably did to solve the difficulty and what you’d do otherwise.
Q.15 How are you able to prioritise Tasks?
Ans. In a project, it’s very important to prioritize tasks and it’s very intensive. It helps guarantee timely and productive completion of the project. Follow these tips to set priorities of the tasks –
• List down the roles and tasks
• Be clear on what’s necessary and what’s pressing
• Determine the worth in every task
• Be able to adapt and keep versatile
• Estimate efforts and order the tasks
• Be clear on after you ought to decline requests
Q.16 How would you describe your communication style along with your team?
This is the interviewer’s manner of assessing your temperament as a team leader and whether or not you’d be able to build the sort of team they need. ensure that you just let the inquirer recognize that you just perceive however necessary communication is as a project manager.
Most employers are searching for somebody who is open in their communication, which makes them more approachable to team members.
Therefore rather than simply shouting orders at your team discuss things along with your team and permit them to form suggestions in order that they feel a part of the method, and they could have a decent plan.
Show that you just will communicate changes quickly in order that issues don’t return up additional within the project by team members being unaware of one thing.
You’ll be able to conjointly mention communication regarding technology as several prospering project managers are currently also selecting to just apps that give a live chat feed in order that communication becomes easier.
Mentioning past samples of your communication plan to the leader is usually a decent plan.
Q.17 What do you Do to confirm You And Your Team Deliver or Exceed client Expectations?
Ans. As the project manager your are answerable for guaranteeing that your team within the at least delivers the project to the customer’s expectations if not exceeding them.
You must think about thriving past comes and write down the method you followed before going into the interview so if this question comes up your able to tell the inquirer a couple of set project style that you just follow to confirm success.
There are unit key steps in project management that require to be followed for achievements, like knowing the project within out and distinctive the wants that you just got to meet at the tip for it to be thought-about a hit.
You’ll be able to additionally mention associated sensible belongings, you follow incomes like making milestones and filing in an organized means, aboard a lot of team leader based mostly steps like keeping the team actuated and ensuring that each one the members area unit performing arts their jobs to the set time frames.
Q.18 How does one Develop a decent operating Relationship with your Team Member?
Ans. It’s necessary that you just and your team area unit performing to your best ability so the inquirer might want to know how you specialize in improving. whether or not the project was thriving or not as a project manager you must always look to learn and develop your skills once a project and take each as a lesson.
Successful project managers always build a report of a project once completed, outlining the method, something that went wrong and what you’ll do to boost if the same project comes up within the future.
Q.19 What does one Do to observe and Review The Delegated Responsibilities?
Ans. One of your main responsibilities is to separate the project into smaller jobs that area unit then allotted to team members. without this, the project wouldn’t run smoothly therefore a key a part of the interview is establishing your delegation method.
A key part of delegation should be to own a transparent understanding of the team, so you’ll be able to accurately assign jobs to people supported their strengths.
Once jobs area unit is given, it’s suggested to begin a computer program with milestones for every team member so their progress on the project may be monitored, this can be aboard regular one to one conferences so you’ll be able to feedback or answer any attainable queries they’ll have.
Q.20 What area unit Your Career and Project Goals For succeeding six Months?
Ans. As each a personal and a project manager, it’s necessary to own goals going forward.
The interviewer could ask you what you’re going to expand into within the future, this might be in varied time frames therefore check that to think about an extended time and Short term goals merely} simply reference each in your answer.
Career associated project goals will vary from person to person therefore there’s no set answer which will tend however avoid going too personal as they’re curious about any goals that may facilitate to learn them as an leader.
Q.21 What are The Cons of an Agile Model?
Following are a number of the problems/cons associated with the Agile Model–
- You aren’t aware, of what you would like to try to to to accomplish the task. within the case of handling large projects, it’s tough to see the whole effort needed.
- it’s hard to emphasise the work and style relating to the project.
- If you don’t perceive the client’s necessities well, you can’t meet his expectations on the final project. Therefore, it causes conflict.
- Only the leader who has deep expertise in such a kind of approach will take major choices. The members who don’t have any or less expertise cannot build choices. So, there’s no span to enhance information.
Q.22 What does one Mean By ‘Scrum of Scrums’?
Ans. It’s one in every of the foremost generally asked Agile project manager interview queries. you’ll elaborate on this term with the assistance of an example.
Sample Answer – Suppose there’s a project of seven operating groups and thereon, there are seven members in every team. every team organizes its scrum meeting. A separate meeting ought to be organized well to coordinate with the team. this sort of meeting is understood as “Scrum of Scrums”.
Q.23 Are you able to Apply Agile Methodology together with software Development and Testing?
Ans. You can apply the agile methodology in numerous places, like the field of organic chemistry, biophysics, and bio-medical, or anywhere wherever there’s a scarcity of correct information. you would like to know wherever you have got to finish the project with a restricted variety of team members and where to work in different areas.
Q.24 What are Impediments In Scrum? make a case for With Examples
Ans. Impediments are the hurdles or problems that the scrum team must agitate. additionally, they additionally prevent the pace of work. If one thing is keeping you faraway from doing the work, it’s called an impediment. And you’ll encounter impediments in any type. Following are some of the common impediments –
- Missing resources or inaccessible team member
- Operational, structure and technical problems
- Business conflicts
- Lack of information or skills
- External factors like weather
- Lack of a network
Q.25 Justify Agile vs. Scrum
Ans. During Agile Project Manager Interview this is a commom query, Agile is an umbrella term, i.e. an approach that is employed in project management, whereas scrum is solely the shape of Agile that shortly clarifies its steps and processes. scrum may be a procedure and Agile may be a process to go with this follow.
Agile consists of finishing projects in steps. The Agile approach is understood to be repetitive naturally. scrum is like Agile together of the types of Agile. it’s both repetitive and progressive by nature.
Q.26 What’s Increment according to You?
Answer – Increment is just a total of all the backlog things of the product that is finished during a sprint. In every increment, all the previous values are enclosed because it is understood to be accumulative. It ought to be out there in a very constant unleash because it is a way to reach your end goal.
Q.27 What’s the Agile Manifesto? What area unit Its Principles?
Ans. This is one in all the Agile Project Manager Interview queries on agile principally asked throughout interviews. Most of the aspirants following agile roles ought to follow this theory. justify the twelve principles and 4 declaration values as clearly as attainable. although you can’t be 100% correct, justify the principles and intentions of values –
• Showcase the operating code frequently
• Customer collaboration
• Welcoming amendment at any time
• Self-motivating and self-organizing interaction ought to be created
Q.28 Describe Your Daily Routine As an Agile Project Manager?
Ans. As AN Agile Project Manager, your key daily routine are often the following;
• Planning activities of the day.
• The manager is meant to be attending a daily stand-up meeting together with his project team. during this meeting, the members of the team are supposed to report what was done the previous day and any problems that were encountered and also the solutions to those are often mentioned.
• The manager is meant to set up or discovered a technical discussion which will address any technical issue that arises throughout the daily stand-up meeting.
• The manager can update project status for the current sprint using project tools like Kaban board, or the other Agile project management tools.
• The manager is meant to review the problem and risks registered and to confirm that all actions are taken. The manager ought to also follow up on all outstanding problems which will be in place.
• The manager is meant to be attending a meeting with the client on per need basis. this can make sure the consumer is updated daily on the progress of the project.
• Finally, once winding all the daily activities, the manager is needed to set up for subsequent day’s activity. this might embrace designing next-day conferences among others.
Q.29 Can you Describe The Key Roles among an Agile Project Team?
Ans. The agile Project Management team consists of three major roles that include Team Lead (Scrum Master), Project Owner, and Team Members.
The work of the scrum Master, conjointly referred to as the Team Lead or project manager is to coordinate all the operations of the team taking under consideration what must be done.
He would require the support of the team member and also the project owner to do all the coordination tasks. Team Member(s) are a part of the complete project team that conjointly includes the manager and also the project owner. Their job is to take directions from the scrum master and apply the directions and work within given directions and timelines.
The Project Owner, during this case, is that the client whose project is being done by the project team. His roles are to ring the vision of the project and present his ideas to the project manager and his team so they’ll place the vision into action.
He can present a draft of what he must be done and also the team can use that as a basis to begin acting on a project. There ought to be a deeper understanding and constant communication between the project manager, team member(s), and also the project owner so the project are often done effectively.
Product Owner is another key role within the agile team. This refers to the person who is answerable for managing the product backlog things. As mentioned earlier, a product backlog could be a list of things that require to be worked on by the project team. So, the work is that the product owner is to manage the project things that the team is meant to figure on.
Q.30 What are some of the most recent Trends In Agile Project Management Tool?
Ans. As an Agile Manager, you would like to stay updated on the most recent trends within the market relating to agile project management tools. a number of these trends are;
• Most projects are being impacted by Artificial and knowledge Intelligence Technology.
• Project Managers are increasing their skills with the need to find out more concerning how Extended Intelligence and AI have an effect on projects.
• Different methodologies and Approaches are getting used like Hybrid Project Management Techniques.
• Diversity of project management team is progressively being seen.
In this Top Agile Manager Interview Questions, we have included all the important Agile Interview questions which are asked frequently. It will definitely help you improve your knowledge in an agile approach. Agile Project management certification Training course from Henry Harvin is going to help to get deeper knowledge.
The Agile Project Manager (APM) is responsible for planning, organizing, leading, and motivating Agile Project teams.
1. Continuous adaption
3. Listening capability
5. Efficient communication
To become a good Agile Project Manager one must have the following:-
1. Exceptional organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize. …
2. The ability to thrive — and remain calm — under pressure.
3. Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well with others.
• Ignoring problematic team members.
• Poor listening
• Ignorance Is a trait of Bad Project Managers.
• Professional Project Managers Would Never Be Ineffective.
• A Good Project Manager Would Never Lie.