Project Management Professional a.k.a PMP is a certification to validate Project Management skills. Professionals with 3 or 4 years of exposure in project management can pursue this certificate exam to enrich their careers in different dimensions. There will be a massive boom in demand for Project management Professionals in Multiple domains in the coming years. So, if you are a project manager or a team leader with experience, you can start preparing for the PMP exam straightaway. Here, in this blog, I’ll walk you through the Top 20 PMP Exam Questions and Answers.
” When at least one-third pf project managers have a PMP certification, more projects are completed on the time, within budget, and with the original goals achieved.” by PMI
But before that, let us look into some of the tip-offs of the PMP Exam and why one should get certified.
About the PMP Exam
The PMP Exam and certification are managed by the PMI ( Project Management Institute) based in the USA. This is a global certification program available in more than 200 countries worldwide. The PMP Exam gauges the skills vital for managing projects in diverse disciplines. The PMP exam contains 200 multiple-choice questions and the time limit is 230 minutes.
Apply for the PMP Exam- top 20 PMP Exam questions and answers
- Become a member of the PMI.
- Once you acquire the eligibility for the PMP certification, apply for the PMP Exam
- After the above step. The PMI takes 5 working days to review your application.
- Once approved, you can opt and schedule the Examination at the center of our choice or online as well.
Eligibility criteria and PMP Certification cost
- If you have a four-year bachelor’s degree, then you need 35 hours of PMP Training and 3 years of experience in the project management domain.
- If you have a high school diploma or Associate’s degree, then you need 35 hours of training and 5 years of exposure in the domain.
- PMP Exam cost is INR 23459 ( for members) and INR 42863 ( for non-members)
- The PMP Exam prep can be done by following the PMBOK guidelines.
Many online courses provide the PMP training to meet the 35 hours criteria and provide guidance to prepare for the PMP Exam. One such Premier institute is the Henry Harvin institute.
The PMP training course from Henry Harvin is one of the best PMP courses with a 99.1% rate of success and is an authorized training partner of the PMI.
Let us jump into the top 20 PMP Exam questions and answers
Top 20 PMP Exam Questions and Answers
Carefully curated by expert PMP Certificate holders, the PMP Exam Questions and answers ensure that the candidates are well-versed in the field of project management. The PMI updated the Exam content to meet the changing demands of the organization, and professions. Business Environment, People, and Process are the three main domains from which questions appear for the PMP Exam. Each domain has a different number of tasks to evaluate the relevant skills. In addition to these, Hybrid, Predictive and agile approaches are depicted throughout the three domains. Let us look into the top 20 PMP Exam preparation questions and answers:
Q 1. In between a technical project, one of the team members is asked to shift to another project. The team is concerned as this is a risky move. Which of the following ways help resolve this issue?
- Replace the member with new resources with the same skills.
- Use tools and techniques to motivate the team members.
- Discuss this change with the project sponsor and get a response.
- Acknowledge the issue and analyze its effect on the project.
ANS: Option D, The project manager should be capable of keeping the team engaged alongside dealing with the changes.
Q 2. The definition of the Precedence Diagramming Method (PDM) is:
- Use a probabilistic approach to schedule project activities
- Illustrate the sequence of activities through the method of using nodes for activities that are logically connected.
- To display the activity dependencies and duration through the time-phased Arrow Diagramming Method( ADM).
- If the duration of activities is unknown, this is more accurate than the critical route approach.
ANS: Option B, PDM is a Planning technique wherein the nodes represent activities and graphical connections represent the logical relationships.
Q 3. An organization just started employing the Agile approach to project management. A project manager in the organization is assigned a project and uses traditional techniques of project management. The team members think that the team lacks communication and subject matter expertise. How should the project manager handle these concerns?
- Use cross-functional internal resources and describe the value to the team.
- Stress the importance of collaboration at the next standup meeting.
- To fill the knowledge gap, use a third-party specialist.
- Use Kanban boards in place of Gnatt charts to make work co-dependencies obvious.
ANS: option A, Expert resources, and collaboration are the main ingredients for successful team management. Cross-functional collaboration is a necessity in Agile projects.
Q 4. A team is about to complete a project when a change in the market compels stakeholders to push the deadline to an earlier date. The project manager employs skilled resources to build the team. Which among the below is not the next step:
- Give training to the new team.
- Create interaction among the team.
- Plan a project schedule.
- Assess the skills required for the new team.
ANS: Option D, The project manager should assess the skills needed for the project before assigning the team. Also, the project manager can develop the team after setting it up.
Q 5. Which among the below is not a component of Culture?
ANS: Option B, Intelligence is a part of the mental strengths and is an innate quality. Culture, people, and surroundings play no role in developing it.
Q 6. A Document that connects product requirements from source to product to manage changes to product scope and add value to the business is called:
- Requirements Traceability Matrix.
- Business Case
- Configuration Management system
- New product development Matrix
ANS: Option A, is a grid to connect product requirements from the source to deliverables to satisfy them and help to add value to the business when implemented properly.
Q 7. All the below are the benefits of meeting quality standards except:
- Lowering Expenses
- Increasing Productivity
- Fewer Change orders
- Less redoing
ANS: Option C, Data Analysis which includes cost-analysis is one of the tools used for calculating the effective cost that helps in meeting quality standards. The benefits of meeting quality standards are less cost, less rework, high productivity, high profitability, and higher satisfaction.
Q 8. What do you mean by Portfolio Management?
- Project Decision Making.
- Manage more than one portfolio to achieve strategic objectives.
- Manage the levels of financial authority.
- Apply heuristic techniques at the resource level across all the strategic objectives.
- Manage contents of the project file.
ANS: Option A, Projects are reviewed to prioritize the allocation of resources and portfolio management should be consistent with strategic objectives.
Q 9. What is the meaning of Project Management?– top 20 PMP Exam questions and answers
- A subset of technical and engineering domains.
- To integrate Earned value Management system and Critical path Method.
- Apply skills, science, wisdom, knowledge, and art to organizational activities.
- Apply Skills, tools, knowledge, and techniques to project activities.
ANS: Option D.
Q 10. Following are the entities of PLan Resource management except:
- Project Interfaces.
- Resource Identification
- Obtaining Resouces.
- Roles and responsibilities
ANS: Option C, Many tools like RAM( Responsibility Assigned matrix), and RACI chart(Responsible, Accountable, Consult, Inform) that help in assigning and identifying the roles and responsibilities and project activities.
Q 11. Integration is one of the basic skills of a project manager. Which among the following does not describe integration?
- Context Level
- Complexity level
- Process level.
- Cognitive level.
ANS: Option B.
Q 12. Which among the following is a component of the quality management plan that explains how quality policies are implemented?
- Program Plan.
- Project management plan
- Project scope.
- Governance management plan
ANS: Option B, policies, guidelines, procedures, etc are implemented through the quality management plan which is a component of the project management plan.
Q 13. What does configuration management focus on?
- To test new systems.
- To specify both processes and deliverables, and change control focus on documenting, identifying, rejecting or accepting changes in deliverables or project documents.
- To identify and correct the problems in the functional areas of the project implementation.
- Identify, control, and document changes to the project and product baselines, and change control on specifications of process and deliverables.
ANS: Option B
Q 14. The Project Management Office (PMO) supports project managers in many ways. Which of the following is not the function of PMO?
- Mentoring, coaching, training, and oversight
- Intervene in Project execution not involving project managers.
- Identify and develop methods, standards, and practices for project management.
- Manage all shared project resources administered by the PMO.
ANS: Option B, PMOs do interfere directly in projects, specifically without involving the project managers.
Q 15. You are handling a project valued at 100,000 USD. You completed 25% work and spent $ 30,000. What is your Cost Performance Index?
ANS: Option C, CPI = Earned Value/ Actual Cost.
Actual cost= $ 30,000 Earned Value= 25% of $ 100,000=$ 25,000
Therefore, CPI= 25000/30000= 0.833
Q 16. For the above question, which of the following is true?
- The project is ahead of schedule.
- The project is over budget.
- The project is under budget
- The project is behind schedule.
ANS: Option B, Since the CPI from above, is 0.833, which is lower than 1, the project is over budget.
Q 17. A risk that is a response to a risk is:
- Unknown Risk.
- Residual Risk.
- Secondary Risk.
- Primary Risk.
ANS: Option C, the risk for another risk is a secondary risk.
Q 18. Your friend is one of the bidders in a bidding conference. What, according to you should be your next move in this situation?
- You will not attend the conference.
- Not tell anyone
- Disclose it.
- Help your friend.
ANS: Option C, Project managers are committed to doing the right and are honorable. They have high standards and try to keep these standards as well
Q 19. Which of the following resource categories is not included in the activity cost estimate?
- Time constraints.
ANS: Option C.
Q 20. Web interfaces for Project management and electronic communication management come under:
- Internal Management System( IMS).
- Internal Communications System( ICS).
- Project Management Information System( PMIS).
- Project Records Databases.
ANS: Option C, Tools used in Project information systems are:
- Electronic Communication Management-telephone, fax, email, web conferencing, website, web publishing, office support software, etc.
- Hard copy document management – press releases, reports, memos, letters, etc.
PMP certification is a challenging process, but worth the time and effort. This certificate not only validates your skills and experience in the domain but also helps in making it big in any industry of your choice. There are many pre requisites to earn the PMP certificate, one among them attempting and clearing the PMP Exam. The above list of top 20 PMP Exam questions and answers are intended to help prepare for the PMP Exam. In addition to this, there are many PMP training courses available in India. These courses impart knowledge and guidance to attain PMP Certification as well.
- TOP 12 PMP CERTIFICATION COURSES IN HYDERABAD
- TOP 12 PMP CERTIFICATION COURSES IN PUNE
- ETHICS TO CONSIDER IN PROJECT MANAGEMENT
- TOP 12 PROJECT MANAGEMENT COURSES IN DELHI
ANS: PMP Exam, any year is hard but worth the time and efforts spent in the preparation of the Exam The above list of top 20 PMP Exam questions can be used to Practice for the PMP Exam.
Ans: the pattern for the PMP Exam is 200 MCQ s on nine knowledge areas and five process groups.
ANS: Much is not updated by the PMI in this regard, but as of 2005, you need 61% to pass the PMP Exam.
Ans: Three is the limit of attempting the PMP exam in a year. Even after this, if you don’t pass the exam, you can attempt next year.
Ans: Yes, there are around 30 to 40 Calculation questions for the PMP Exam.